Sunday, March 05, 2006

First pregnancy scare; or, breaking Shabbos

On all acounts, I'd say that the pregnancy has been pretty smooth so far. Very little nausea and sickness, hardly any eating issues, and no problems other than some minor sleeping issues.

That all changed Friday night. Or so we thought.

After dinner, Shaina began to feel a tightening sensation in her stomach - at first it didn't seem like much, but after she was bowled over on the floor screaming in pain, it took about .2 seconds before I was on the phone with the doctor, who suggested we head to labor and delivery at the hospital. I'd like to say we weren't freaked out, but I'd be lying if I said we weren't.

So, we got in the car, on Shabbat (there's always a first time for everything), and hit every single red light on the way to the hospital. When we got there, we were taken care of right away. After a few examinations, the long and the short of it was that Shaina's pain was due to....gas. Oh well, at least it's a funny story.

On a lighter note - while we were at the hospital, they checked to see if they could monitor the baby's heartbeat (which was a longshot, since it's quite difficult to get a heartbeat for babies under 20 weeks or so), and we were fortunate enough to listen to the heartbeat - for over an hour! It was really unbelievable. At least we know our child has a strong heart!

No comments: