Monday, February 20, 2006

The Baby Business

A few weeks ago Shaina and I made our first outing to look around and learn about essential baby items (cribs, etc). First stop was Babies R Us, the Sam's Club of baby-shopping. This place was gigantic and overwhelming; women breastfeeding on your left, toys on your right, baby furniture straight ahead.

First, we learned about cribs: wood/plastic, intergrated/visible parts, converts to a bed, doesn't convert to a bed... Then, dressers etc...The one thing that was consistent in all of this was that the costs seemed outrageous. Now, obviously, we're not going to go buy a rent-a-wreck crib for our child. All I'm saying is that this kid is going to urinate, defecate and vomit all over whatever we get it - does it really have to be that expensive?

Once we had an idea of what we were looking at, we went to "Lazar's," which was recommended to us by members of our family. If I thought $400 for a crib was insane initially, it looked like a coupon clipping bargain when I walked into this place. $875 - 1600. FOR BABY CRIBS.

WTF. Honestly.

To make a happy ending out of all of this, our grandparents hinted that if we registered for what we needed at Lazar's, they'd buy it for us. I never thought they were serious, but they bought us everything we registered for. On the one hand I'm ecstatic, on the other hand the money used to buy the crib/furniture could be used to start an IRA or something.

No comments: